05 March 2008

One more thing... on a literary note

I just found out about another poetic form that I have never tried and I want to stick it in here so that I may remember to try it:-) I actually edited two poems I wrote recently, so I am doing better on the creativity front. Here is the tanka as explained by Robert Lee Brewer on his blog Poetic Asides: (sorry for the wholesale copying, but I want to make sure I remember all of it)

Tanka: Bigger and More Relaxed Than a Haiku
Posted by Robert

If a haiku is usually (mistakenly) thought of as a 3-line, 5-7-5 syllable poem, then the tanka would be a 5-line, 5-7-5-7-7 syllable poem. However, as with haiku, it's better to think of a tanka as a 5-line poem with 3 short lines (lines 2, 4, 5) and 2 very short lines (lines 1 and 3).

While imagery is still important in tanka, the form is a little more conversational than haiku at times. It also allows for the use of poetic devices such as metaphor and personification (2 big haiku no-no's).

Like haiku, tanka is a Japanese poetic form.

*****

While I'm sure there are problems with my attempt, here is my tanka attempt, which you can use as an example of the form:

Chopin's waltzes
turn circles in my head
for hours
as I think of her hand
turning the world inside out

*****

Here are some other online tanka resources:

* http://www.americantanka.com/about.html

* http://www.ahapoetry.com/richtank.htm

* http://www.modernenglishtankapress.com/tankacentral/

*****

Check out other Poetic Forms.

No comments: